READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't login to 0.7.0 after install on Debian via apt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Problems with the server / Serverprobleme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackKatMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 13:13    Post subject: Can't login to 0.7.0 after install on Debian via apt Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

It's my first time here. I'm trying out m23 on Virtualbox because I'm curious of how it works.

I tried to install it on Debian 4.0r3 (I know it's a little old, but it's the latest DVD I have, and hopefully apt-get update should help me...) by putting the m23 repository in /etc/apt/sources.list but I end up with an unmanageable server.

Here's what I've done:

- Created an "m23Server" VM under Virtualbox, with 2 NICs (eth0 on NAT for internet access, eth1 on a virtual internal network, so I won't have to mess up with my "real" network);
    - Installed Debian 4.0. Expert install, but default options, except removing the "desktop system" task. I didn't check any task other than "base system", to come up with a system as "clean" as possible (I thought that aptitude/apt-get could handle dependencies on its own when installing m23).
    - Configured eth1 (192.168.0.1/24), updated packages, installed openssh-server.
    - Put m23 repository in /etc/apt/sources.list.
    - Started m23 installation via aptitude. Parameters given to packages configurations:
      * slapd: changed default (empty) password;
      * samba server: workgroup set to "workgroup"; allowed WINS address(es) in DHCP configuration;
      * m23: kept default options;
      * [at this point the apt output gave me some apache2.2-common modules errors but I wasn't able to note them down. I can try to reinstall and to provide a log if needed]
      * m23-ldap: put in slapd password (see above);
      * [at this point there were some backuppc errors. Again, I wasn't able to note them down, just tell me if you think are relevant].

- Rebooted just to be sure.
    - Booted another VM with one NIC on the internal network (just a Knoppix to have a web console). Yes I know it'd have been less work to access the server via the NAT interface (configuring Virtualbox to forward the right ports), but last time I tried (some m23 versions ago...) I had some problems... it's complicated.

And here's the main issue: connecting to https://192.168.0.1 prompts me to save the PHTML file instead of logging me into the server. Apparently it's not a browser issue (tried with both Iceweasel and Konqueror). Actually the m23 online manual tells to connect via HTTP, not HTTPS, but 1) I recall using HTTPS some m23 version ago, and 2) using plain HTTP returns me to a web root page listing "index of /, parent directory, apache2-default etc etc".

The big questions are...:

1) After trying 2 or 3 times (including doing it all over again from scratch), what am I doing wrong?
2) How come apache 1.3.x gets installed, but some components of apache2 do as well? Does this cause any problem? I recall that during bootup there's something like "NOT starting apache2..." scrolling up.

I apologize if this issue has been already dealt with in another thread, but I see that almost all threads here are in German and I understand very little of it. And, my Linux knowledge is somewhat limited, i.e. I've got a LOT to learn yet, so please be patient if I missed something obvious Smile. Being a Winblows sysadmin for too many years sucks (especially if you don't like M$ from the beginning...) Smile.

Thank you in advance!
Hauke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do my tests with VirtualBox too and have sucessfully installed virtual m23 servers by hand and virtual m23 clients with the virtual m23 servers. My VirtualBox setup differs from yours. For my tests I use one NIC that is set to "host interface" to make the virtual servers and clients behave in the network like real machines.

Setting a NIC to NAT should only work if the IP is fetched via DHCP to get the internet access. And the virtual network should only connect between VirtualBox's virtual computers. This is as I understand these network types and maybe I'm wrong.

So if I'm right it's not possible to access the m23 server via the network and maybe the 192.168.0.1 belongs to another computer.

For further investigation please do the following in the installed virtual machine (as root) and post the result to the forum:
Code:
ifconfig

Code:
route -n

Code:
ping m23.sf.net

Code:
ping {IP of your workstation}

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de
BlackKatMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hauke, thanks for your reply.

192.168.0.1 is the m23 server, indeed. I set things up to have the 192.168.0.0 network inside Virtualbox. My "real" network is on 192.168.1.0, and I'm pretty sure there are no other machines using 192.168.0.1.

Moreover, when I ssh into 192.168.0.1 from the other virtual machine (the Knoppix one) I can easily see it's the right one (the shell prompt has the right hostname, and I don't have other sshd hanging around in either net).

Anyway, here are the result of the commands...

Code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:AE:DB:1A 
          inet addr:10.0.2.15  Bcast:10.0.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:feae:db1a/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:44 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:60 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:4129 (4.0 KiB)  TX bytes:6891 (6.7 KiB)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xc020

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:27:FC:38:6D 
          inet addr:192.168.0.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fefc:386d/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:759 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:459 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:72038 (70.3 KiB)  TX bytes:58990 (57.6 KiB)
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xc060

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:560 (560.0 b)  TX bytes:560 (560.0 b)

As you can see, I set up eth0 using Virtualbox NAT networking: the IP was given by Virtualbox virtual DHCP server, which by default uses the 10.0.2.0 network. The virtual "internal" interface is eth1, which I set manually on 192.168.0.1.

Code:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.0.2.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
0.0.0.0         10.0.2.2        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Again, 10.0.2.2 is the virtual gateway set by Virtualbox.

Pings are looking fine from the server, I pinged everything successfully: m23.sf.net (216.34.181.96), my host computer, and the VM running Knoppix that I set up for the web console on 192.168.0.2.

Maybe it would be easier to use host networking (latest Virtualbox versions make it easier btw), but I don't want to mess too much with my real network, even if it's a very simple one. Oh well, I may do that if it helps (and there's no other option).
Hauke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

the network settings seem to work. Then please figure out what Apache version is installed. You can do this by executing (please post all lines that are listed)
Code:
dpkg --get-selections | grep apache

Is it possible for you to upload the VirtualBox image with the settings file somewhere? Then I could check it directly.

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

BlackKatMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hauke, sorry for having disappeared for a number of days, been quite busy...

The dpkg output is as follows:
Code:
apache                                          install
apache-common                                   install
apache2-mpm-prefork                             install
apache2-utils                                   install
apache2.2-common                                install
libapache-mod-php4                              install
libapache-mod-ssl                               install
libapache2-mod-php5                             install

About Virtualbox VDI and settings file: my VDI disk image has grown quite big (8 GB) after tons of experiments with that VM (i.e. I didn't re-create the VDI file from scratch, I just reformatted and reinstalled the guest O.S.).

I'm working to compact it, but it looks like Virtualbox's compacting option has been temporarily disabled in 2.1.0 (see http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2966). I may just compress it (I already zeroed out free space) if you don't mind having such a big, mostly empty (1,4GB out of 8GB) file on your HDD after, but I'm thinking about a better solution.

I'll email you when I'll come up with something and I'll have the file uploaded.
Hauke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackKatMike wrote:
I'm working to compact it, but it looks like Virtualbox's compacting option has been temporarily disabled in 2.1.0 (see http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2966). I may just compress it (I already zeroed out free space) if you don't mind having such a big, mostly empty (1,4GB out of 8GB) file on your HDD after, but I'm thinking about a better solution.

I'll email you when I'll come up with something and I'll have the file uploaded.

Ok. You can try 7-Zip to compress. This has a very good compression rate.

BlackKatMike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Done compressing and uploading everything. Check your e-mail for details.
Hauke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I had the time to check the virtual machine you sent.

The problem is that the configuration script of the m23 package assumes that Apache 2 is installed and so the configuration is done in the Apache 2 directory. After deleting the /etc/apache2 directory and reconfiguring the m23 package it worked.

Did you install Apache 2 before?

BlackKatMike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't install Apache 2 manually before.

As I said in my first post, I purposefully installed just a base Debian system (leaving all other tasks in the expert install deselected) so I would end up with a system as clean as possible. Then I let aptitude handle all the m23 dependencies when installing it, and I ended up with those apache2-related packages installed.
Hauke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I need to check the installation with aptitude and maybe I need to change the script that detects the used Apache version.

Did you try to try to delete the directory and reconfigured the m23 package like I did? Did it work?

Hauke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I can reproduce the installation error on Etch. Now I have m23 installation packages that work on Etch with Apache 1 or 2 and PHP 4 or 5.

The packages will be uploaded in the next hours.

BlackKatMike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hauke, didn't have much time to follow things happening here...

I didn't try to delete /etc/apache2 as you did, but since you were able to reproduce the error I think I don't need to anymore! Smile

I'm gonna try m23 0.7.1 out when I'll have some time these days, and since Lenny came out recently I'm gonna try m23 on that too.

Thank you, I'll let you know my results!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Problems with the server / Serverprobleme All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum