READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

some general questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:32    Post subject: some general questions Reply with quote

Hi,

great job on a great system. I'm using update 100053, and right now updating to 100054 (Installed from the ISO, and did updates).

couple of questions:

1. after selecting a package to install, a halt command is added to the tasks. why? moreoever, after installation there is halt, and not a reboot. why?

2. how can I install/upgrade packages which needs user intervention? is it possible to answer the debconf questions first, and then the clients will install it automaticly?

3. why using LILO instead of GRUB in the default Testing installation?

4. work.php is being updated only at boot time, from what I could see. I think it can be great to add it to crontab during installation. Moreover, it'll be great if it will be possible to apply tasks immidiatly:
make m23fetchjobs a daemon.
or call it from inetd on demand on some port (not really secure).
or ssh can be used to do it in a secure way, using ssh-agent or something.

- Uri.
Hauke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:06    Post subject: Re: some general questions Reply with quote

milman wrote:
1. after selecting a package to install, a halt command is added to the tasks. why? moreoever, after installation there is halt, and not a reboot. why?

m23 leaves the client in the state after the install it was before. Client off when adding it to m23 = send halt, client on = send reboot.

milman wrote:
2. how can I install/upgrade packages which needs user intervention? is it possible to answer the debconf questions first, and then the clients will install it automaticly?

Have a look at the development guide on chapter "Additional installation parameters for normal packages".

milman wrote:
3. why using LILO instead of GRUB in the default Testing installation?

Personal taste Wink And the partition autodetection tool supports LiLo only. Maybe I will add GRUB support sometimes but this hasn't a high priority.

milman wrote:
4. work.php is being updated only at boot time, from what I could see.

That's right.
milman wrote:
I think it can be great to add it to crontab during installation. Moreover, it'll be great if it will be possible to apply tasks immidiatly:

SSH is used when the client is running. The server logs into the client and lets it fetch the new job if you add a new job on a running client.

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:

m23 leaves the client in the state after the install it was before. Client off when adding it to m23 = send halt, client on = send reboot.

well, first of all, in my case, it sends halt all the time. but more important, we don't need to reboot after installing a package! that's the buty of linux... so why it's on default?

If I'm upgrading kernel, for example, I'd like the option to reboot, but just as an option, because I don't work to disturb people while they work, for example. in that case I can choose to force reboot if it's important to me, or leave it till the computer will be rebooted some time in the future.

one more thing about halt/reboot: when installing a new system (I tried only testing and stable right now), it's always halted the system. where I work, we want the computers to work 24 hours, so I want to reboot after the fresh install, and let it be ready to work. what do you say about adding this feature?

Quote:
Quote:
milman wrote:
I think it can be great to add it to crontab during installation. Moreover, it'll be great if it will be possible to apply tasks immidiatly:

SSH is used when the client is running. The server logs into the client and lets it fetch the new job if you add a new job on a running client.

it's not happening in my case. when viewing /var/log/auth.log, the server doesn't try to connect. Is there a log file what the server saves so I can follow?
Hauke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
well, first of all, in my case, it sends halt all the time. but more important, we don't need to reboot after installing a package! that's the buty of linux... so why it's on default?

The reset is only send if the operating system is installed. If you install a package and the client is on there won't be send a halt or reset.

Anonymous wrote:

If I'm upgrading kernel, for example, I'd like the option to reboot, but just as an option, because I don't work to disturb people while they work, for example. in that case I can choose to force reboot if it's important to me, or leave it till the computer will be rebooted some time in the future.

A reboot can be done by adding the special package "m23Reboot".

Anonymous wrote:
one more thing about halt/reboot: when installing a new system (I tried only testing and stable right now), it's always halted the system. where I work, we want the computers to work 24 hours, so I want to reboot after the fresh install, and let it be ready to work. what do you say about adding this feature?

I consider it for the next release. So long as it's included you can comment out (with //) the line
Code:
if (!PKG_addShutdownPackage($client))

in /m23/inc/distr/debian/clientInstall.php

Anonymous wrote:

Hauke wrote:

it's not happening in my case. when viewing /var/log/auth.log, the server doesn't try to connect. Is there a log file what the server saves so I can follow?

Can you SSH from your server to your client without password as root?

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

milman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

every time I install a new packge, m23 sends 4 jobs to the client:
m23UpdateSourcesList
m23UpdatePackageInfos
install the package
m23Shutdown

I guess that the server thinks the client is down, and tries to turn it off to be back to the same state. if so, how can I know the status of the client? (what the server thinks...).

and what about adding a state to the status, so I could know which clients are down, and wake them up (WAL) if I want to?

about the SSH, I can't ssh from the server to the client without a password. However, from the log of the client, it doesn't seem that the server is even trying.

is there a log of the server which I can monitor?
Hauke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

milman wrote:
I guess that the server thinks the client is down, and tries to turn it off to be back to the same state. if so, how can I know the status of the client? (what the server thinks...).

If the client can be "pinged" by the server it is "online" if not "offline". Do you have blocked ports in your network? Can you ping the clients from the server?

milman wrote:
and what about adding a state to the status, so I could know which clients are down, and wake them up (WAL) if I want to?

This would mean a round-robin pinging of all clients to get a proper state. Another way would be a script that is called on startup and sends an "online" to the server and another that sends an "offline" at shutdown, but this may be unaccurate.

milman wrote:
about the SSH, I can't ssh from the server to the client without a password. However, from the log of the client, it doesn't seem that the server is even trying.

This souldn't happen. Did you change the SSH key on the server?
Are the checksums of boh keys identically?
Code:
md5sum /root/.ssh/id_dsa.pub  /m23/data+scripts/packages/baseSys/authorized_keys

milman wrote:
is there a log of the server which I can monitor?

Nothing more than the files in /var/log.

milman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can ping the client from the server, and still I have a "shutdown" job waiting.

about the ssh keys, I didn't change the key on the server, but I may have change the password. Anyway, the 2 public key are not the same. The key that exists on the client in the one in /m23/data+scripts/packages/baseSys/authorized_keys. After adding the public key of root, I can access via ssh and without password.

but still, even after that, when I add a new package, I still got the 4 jobs (including the shutdown), and they are just waiting...

the messages on /var/log doesn't really help me tracking down the problems...
Hauke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

milman wrote:
I can ping the client from the server, and still I have a "shutdown" job waiting.
but still, even after that, when I add a new package, I still got the 4 jobs (including the shutdown), and they are just waiting...

the messages on /var/log doesn't really help me tracking down the problems...

What is the output of:
Code:
dpkg --get-selections | grep ping

milman wrote:
about the ssh keys, I didn't change the key on the server, but I may have change the password. Anyway, the 2 public key are not the same. The key that exists on the client in the one in /m23/data+scripts/packages/baseSys/authorized_keys. After adding the public key of root, I can access via ssh and without password.

For my 0.5 RC2 server the boths keys are identically. Changing of the root password doesn't change the pubic key. If you are not using the 0.5 RC2 you should try it.
On my 0.4.99 and upgraded to 100055 the keys differ too. I don't know how this could happen Sad
In the next patch will be a routine that checks for parity of both keys.

milman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem:

in file /m23/inc/db.php, in function pingIP($ip), ping is being called with -w1 parameter, which -w is not a valid parament (in the current ping version, at leat). by removing this parameter, everything works as it should.

Quote:
For my 0.5 RC2 server the boths keys are identically. Changing of the root password doesn't change the pubic key. If you are not using the 0.5 RC2 you should try it.
On my 0.4.99 and upgraded to 100055 the keys differ too. I don't know how this could happen Sad
In the next patch will be a routine that checks for parity of both keys.

it's easy to fix, so it's not a big problem for me.

I'm happy to be your humble debugger... keep on the good job!
Hauke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "-w1" parameter is known by iputils-ping. What packge is installed on your server?

Code:
dpkg --get-selections | grep ping

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

netkit-ping install
any idea how did it get there?
Hauke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
netkit-ping install
any idea how did it get there?

I don't know why the old package isn't replaced by "iputils-ping". This should be done by an previous update, but on some machines this update doesn't work.
You can install iputils-ping by:
Code:
apt-get install iputils-ping

milman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, apt-get spoiled the system...

tried to install...

Code:
~# apt-get install iputils-ping
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  grub: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1) but 2.3.2.ds1-20 is to be installed
        Depends: libncurses5 (>= 5.4-5) but 5.4-4 is to be installed
  iputils-ping: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1) but 2.3.2.ds1-20 is to be installed
                Conflicts: ping
  netkit-ping: Conflicts: ping
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

then I updated the file lists, and :

Code:
 apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  libc6 libncurses5
Suggested packages:
  locales glibc-doc
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libc6 libncurses5
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 189 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 5338kB of archives.
After unpacking 905kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main libc6 2.3.5-9 [5044kB]
Get:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main libncurses5 5.5-1 [294kB]         
Fetched 5338kB in 9s (540kB/s)                                                 
(Reading database ... 17685 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.2.ds1-20 (using .../libc6_2.3.5-9_i386.deb) ...

Name Service Switch update in the C Library: pre-installation question.
Running services and programs that are using NSS need to be restarted,
otherwise they might not be able to do lookup or authentication any more.
The installation process is able to restart some services (such as ssh or
telnetd), but other programs cannot be restarted automatically.  One such
program that needs manual stopping and restart after the glibc upgrade by
yourself is xdm - because automatic restart might disconnect your active
X11 sessions.

Known packages that need to be stopped before the glibc upgrade are:
        xdm kdm gdm postgresql xscreensaver
This script does not detect any services to stop now.

If you want to interrupt the upgrade now and continue later, please
answer No to the question below.

Do you want to upgrade glibc now? [Y/n]

Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
Setting up libc6 (2.3.5-9) ...
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...done.

Name Service Switch update in the C Library: post-installation question.
Running services and programs that are using NSS need to be restarted,
otherwise they might not be able to do lookup or authentication any more
(for services such as ssh, this can affect your ability to login).
Note: restarting sshd/telnetd should not affect any existing connections.

The services detected are:
        inetd rsync apache cron ssh

If other services have begun to fail mysteriously after this upgrade, it is
probably necessary to restart them too.  We recommend you to reboot your
machine after the upgrade to avoid the NSS related trouble.

Do you wish to restart services? [Y/n]

Restarting services possibly affected by the upgrade:
  inetd: stopping...starting...done.
  rsync: stopping...starting...done.
  apache: stopping...starting...done.
  cron: stopping...starting...done.
  ssh: stopping...starting...done.

Services restarted successfully.
Current default timezone: 'Europe/Berlin'.
Local time is now:      Thu Dec 29 10:40:40 CET 2005.
Universal Time is now:  Thu Dec 29 09:40:40 UTC 2005.
Run 'tzconfig' if you wish to change it.

(Reading database ... 17695 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libncurses5 5.4-4 (using .../libncurses5_5.5-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libncurses5 ...
Setting up libncurses5 (5.5-1) ...

Setting up grub (0.95+cvs20040624-19) ...

since apache didn't load, I checked the log and saw:

Code:
cat /var/log/apache/error.log
PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php4/20020429-zts/ldap.so' - /usr/lib/php4/20020429-zts/ldap.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
[Sun Dec 25 06:25:04 2005] [notice] Apache/1.3.33 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.3.10-9 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7d configured -- resuming normal operations
[Sun Dec 25 06:25:04 2005] [notice] Accept mutex: sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
--08:51:19--  http://m23.sf.net/m23patch/m23patch.php?action=info&ver=0.5.0&patch=100056
           => `/m23/tmp/updateInfo.txt'
Resolving m23.sf.net... 66.35.250.209
Connecting to m23.sf.net[66.35.250.209]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://m23.sourceforge.net/m23patch/m23patch.php?action=info&ver=0.5.0&patch=100056 [following]
--08:51:20--  http://m23.sourceforge.net/m23patch/m23patch.php?action=info&ver=0.5.0&patch=100056
Resolving m23.sourceforge.net... 66.35.250.209
Connecting to m23.sourceforge.net[66.35.250.209]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]

0K                                                         195.31 KB/s

08:51:21 (195.31 KB/s) - `/m23/tmp/updateInfo.txt' saved [20]
--10:23:34--  http://m23.sf.net/m23patch/m23patch.php?action=info&ver=0.5.0&patch=100056
Location: http://m23.sourceforge.net/m23patch/m23patch.php?action=info&ver=0.5.0&patch=100056 [following]
--10:23:35--  http://m23.sourceforge.net/m23patch/m23patch.php?action=info&ver=0.5.0&patch=100056

10:23:36 (195.31 KB/s) - `/m23/tmp/updateInfo.txt' saved [20]

--08:27:02--  http://m23.sf.net/m23patch/m23patch.php?action=info&ver=0.5.0&patch=100056
--08:27:03--  http://m23.sourceforge.net/m23patch/m23patch.php?action=info&ver=0
.5.0&patch=100056

08:27:04 (195.31 KB/s) - `/m23/tmp/updateInfo.txt' saved [20]

Warning: Permanently added '132.72.41.56' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
sudo: ether-wake: command not found
[Thu Dec 29 10:15:40 2005] [error] [client 132.72.41.56] File does not exist: /m23/data+scripts/distr/debian/debootstrap/arch
[Thu Dec 29 10:40:31 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib/php4/20020429-zts/ldap.so' - /usr/lib/php4/20020429-zts/ldap.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

so right now the server is not operational... Sad
Hauke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

It seems that there is missing another programm on your server Sad

Can you post me the list of all installed tools?
Code:
dpkg --get-selections

Code:

Hmm. In one configuration file seems to be written the whole path to ldap.so. In my system is no path included in the files under /etc/php4 and /etc/apache. Can you figure out in whitch it's included with full path?

The directory containing ldap.so is called /usr/lib/php4/20050606/ on my system. How it's called on yours?

Quote:
so right now the server is not operational... Sad

What precisely is nor working? Webinterface? Installation? ...

milman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, "ether-wake" is not installed, however, etherwake is...

Code:
# dpkg --get-selections
adduser                  install
apache                  install
apache-common               install
apache2-utils               install
apt                  install
apt-utils               install
aptitude               install
at                  deinstall
atftpd                  deinstall
autoconf               install
automake               install
autoproject               install
autotools-dev               install
base-config               install
base-files               install
base-passwd               install
bash                  install
binutils               install
bison                  install
bsdmainutils               install
bsdutils               install
bzip2                  install
c2man                  install
cflow                  install
console-common               install
console-data               install
console-tools               install
coreutils               install
cpio                  install
cpp                  install
cpp-3.3                  install
cramfsprogs               install
cron                  install
cutils                  install
cxref                  install
dash                  install
debconf                  install
debconf-i18n               install
debianutils               install
debootstrap               install
dhcp-client               deinstall
dhcp3-common               install
dhcp3-server               install
dialog                  install
diff                  install
dpkg                  install
dselect                  install
e2fslibs               install
e2fsprogs               install
ed                  install
eject                  install
etherwake               install
exim                  deinstall
exim4                  install
exim4-base               install
exim4-config               install
exim4-daemon-light            install
fdutils                  install
file                  install
fileutils               install
findutils               install
flex                  install
gawk                  install
gcc                  install
gcc-3.3                  install
gcc-3.3-base               install
gdb                  install
gettext                  install
gettext-base               install
grep                  install
groff-base               install
grub                  install
gzip                  install
hdparm                  install
hostname               install
hwdata-knoppix               install
hwsetup                  install
ifupdown               install
indent                  install
info                  install
initrd-tools               install
initscripts               install
ipchains               deinstall
iptables               install
kernel-image-2.4.21-5-386         deinstall
kernel-image-2.4.22-1-386         deinstall
kernel-image-2.4.22-pre8         deinstall
kernel-image-2.4.26-1-386         deinstall
kernel-image-2.6.10-1-386         install
klogd                  install
less                  install
libacl1                  install
libapache-mod-php4            install
libapache-mod-ssl            install
libapr0                  install
libattr1               install
libblkid1               install
libbz2-1.0               install
libc6                  install
libcap1                  install
libcomerr2               install
libconsole               install
libdb1-compat               install
libdb2                  install
libdb3                  install
libdb3-util               install
libdb4.0               install
libdb4.1               install
libdb4.2               install
libdbd-mysql-perl            install
libdbi-perl               install
libdevmapper1.01            install
libelfg0               install
libexpat1               install
libfreetype6               deinstall
libgcc1                  install
libgcrypt1               install
libgcrypt11               install
libgdbm3               install
libgdbmg1               install
libglib2.0-0               install
libgnutls11               install
libgnutls7               install
libgpg-error0               install
libgpmg1               install
libident               install
libkrb53               install
libldap2               install
liblocale-gettext-perl            install
liblockfile1               install
liblzo1                  install
libmagic1               install
libmm13                  install
libmysqlclient10            install
libmysqlclient12            install
libncurses5               install
libncursesw5               install
libnet-daemon-perl            install
libnewt0               install
libnewt0.51               install
libopencdk4               install
libopencdk8               install
libpam-modules               install
libpam-runtime               install
libpam0g               install
libparted1.6-0               install
libparted1.6-12               install
libpcap0               install
libpcap0.7               install
libpcre3               install
libplrpc-perl               install
libpng12-0               install
libpopt0               install
libreadline4               install
libsasl2               install
libsasl7               install
libsigc++-1.2-5c102            install
libss2                  install
libssl0.9.6               deinstall
libssl0.9.7               install
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2            install
libstdc++5               install
libtasn1-0               install
libtasn1-2               install
libtext-charwidth-perl            install
libtext-iconv-perl            install
libtext-wrapi18n-perl            install
libtextwrap1               install
libuuid1               install
libwrap0               install
libzzip-0-12               install
lilo                  install
liwc                  install
localepurge               install
login                  install
logrotate               install
ltrace                  install
lynx                  install
m23-initscripts               install
m4                  install
mailx                  install
make                  install
makedev                  install
man-db                  install
manpages               install
manpages-dev               install
mawk                  install
mbr                  install
mc                  install
mime-support               install
mkisofs                  install
modconf                  install
module-init-tools            install
modutils               install
mount                  install
mysql-client               install
mysql-common               install
mysql-server               install
nano                  install
ncurses-base               install
ncurses-bin               install
net-tools               install
netbase                  install
netkit-inetd               install
netkit-ping               install
nvi                  install
openssl                  install
parted                  install
passwd                  install
patch                  install
pciutils               install
perl                  install
perl-base               install
perl-modules               install
php4                  install
php4-common               install
php4-mysql               install
ppp                  deinstall
pppconfig               deinstall
pppoe                  deinstall
pppoeconf               deinstall
procps                  install
psmisc                  install
pure-ftpd               install
pure-ftpd-common            install
python                  install
python2.2               deinstall
python2.3               install
rsync                  install
sarg                  deinstall
screen                  install
sed                  install
setserial               install
shellutils               install
slang1                  install
slang1a-utf8               install
squid                  install
squid-common               install
ssh                  install
strace                  install
sudo                  install
sysklogd               install
syslinux               install
sysv-rc                  install
sysvinit               install
tar                  install
tasksel                  install
tcpd                  install
telnet                  deinstall
textutils               install
tftpd-hpa               install
ucf                  install
util-linux               install
wget                  install
whiptail               install
zlib1g                  install

about ldap.so, the file doesn't exist on my system.

so right now, the apache doesn't work, so I don't have web interface.

I guess it's due to php looking for the ldap.so file. I've installed php4-ldap, and started apache. Now it's working again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum