READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Immutable DHCP server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamlet

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:43    Post subject: Immutable DHCP server Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm considering using m23 for a project at work.
It seems to be a great piece of software fulfilling most of our requirements.
One thing that can be a problem, I can't change (at all) the current authoritative DHCP server configuration...
I've experimented with success a manual boot server, using dnsmasq as a "DHCP proxy".
If you're not familiar with this, dnsmasq gets the DHCP/PXE request from the client, get all IP details from the main DHCP server, just add boot options, and answer the whole to the client.

Do you think it would be easy to use m23 with this kind of setup ?
I've quickly read through the m23 manual, but it seems that most of the configuration is automatic, I'm afraid to break everything if I try to manually configure dnsmasq instead of dhcp-server and tftpd.
Looking for advice, best regards.
Maren

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hamlet,

first of all: Sorry for the delay, we were thinking about how to best answer your question - and: thanks for the praise Very Happy

What we didn't understand: Do you want to use dnsmask on a separate server as DHCP proxy (as you wrote) or do you need to reconfigure things in m23? (or maybe both for the first to work?)

We know about a school using m23 in an environment with routers for subnets (with the routers' own, embedded software) which works fine.

Before implementing your solution in the real network at work, we would recommend you use some test machines in a test network first.

If you need help finding/adapting the configuration files, you can take a look at the developer's manual from the web site and ask us here in the forum.

And, of course, if your solution works, we would be happy to hear from you what you had to do to make it work, so other users can profit from your findings.

As we are currently preparing for Linux-Tag in Berlin, response time for the next two and a half weeks may be a bit longer than normal, though Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum