READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getServerIP() not good for multi-homed servers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGuv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:12    Post subject: getServerIP() not good for multi-homed servers Reply with quote

In 10.4 Rock, the function getServerIP() in /m23/inc/db.php is used in several places including where the work.php script is generated.

It assumes the order of the interfaces within the system's /etc/network/interfaces is sane - with the external interface first. This may not be the case; perhaps for some reason the user has re-ordered the entries and has localhost first. Or perhaps like myself, m23 has been installed via .deb packages onto an existing server that has several interfaces. On mine, the work.php was being generated with an ip address which m23 was not the virtual host.

I'm not entirely sure what the best change would be, other than perhaps to have this a configurable option within 'Server Settings', maybe using the current method to populate the default value?

Great work guys!
--
TheGuv
Hauke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a hint in the "Installation guide" would do it.

An admin, who orders the interfaces in a specific manner, should know how to edit /etc/network/interfaces and put the external interface on top of the interface list Wink

This will be added soon.

Thank for your message Very Happy

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de
TheGuv

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hauke wrote:
Maybe a hint in the "Installation guide" would do it.

Yep, that would help nicely. In my case, it took a while to find out why nothing was happening and the client wasn't being imported (because the work.php script couldn't be fetched, as another web virtual host was on the IP m23 picked). Of course, I'm an m23 newbie, so didn't even understand the basic steps at that point.

Hauke wrote:
An admin, who orders the interfaces in a specific manner, should know how to edit /etc/network/interfaces and put the external interface on top of the interface list Wink

Lol, sure, but then again maybe there is more than one admin involved Wink Anyway, assimilation of an existing machine could mean the machine was in another office, or another company that was recently bought, and originally installed by some unknown party.

[quote="Hauke"]This will be added soon./quote]

Wow, that's great. This is certainly a fast-evolving project!

Thanks for your time.

--
TheGuv
Hauke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGuv wrote:
Of course, I'm an m23 newbie, so didn't even understand the basic steps at that point.

It's good if users point it out. If you dayly code for and work with a system, you loose the look on the beginners views Wink

TheGuv wrote:
Anyway, assimilation of an existing machine could mean the machine was in another office, or another company that was recently bought, and originally installed by some unknown party.

In this case it may be safer to install from scratch. Maybe they left a rootkit Wink

TheGuv wrote:
Wow, that's great. This is certainly a fast-evolving project!

I try to do things fast, that make sense for the project and can be done in smal time Wink

TheGuv wrote:
Thanks for your time.

Thank you for reporting Very Happy

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Bugs All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum