READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server lost client ip's, manual integration LM17
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Problems with the server / Serverprobleme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 13:09    Post subject: Server lost client ip's, manual integration LM17 Reply with quote

Hi there!

What I did:
- I am using the newest m23 server in a virtual mashine
- I integrated some existing clients this way: first in the web-app, after that with the line for ubuntu mashines written in the handbook
- integration worked fine (I think)
- later I don't see the right Ip in the client control center. It shows 127.0.0.1 at any client
- I can cange the IP via the "changing client"-Option, but the information is lost sooner or later (both ways (database and server-option fail)
- I had one client successfully changed, installed some programms, after that the Ip is gone again.
- now I can't install anything on clients via m23

What did I do wrong?

Thanks!
Hauke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:32    Post subject: Re: Server lost client ip's, manual integration LM17 Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently very busy with organising the "Kieler Open Source und Linux Tage", but at the beginnig of the next week I should have time for analysing your problem.

matz wrote:
I am using the newest m23 server in a virtual mashine

Are you using m23 15.2?

matz wrote:
- I integrated some existing clients this way: first in the web-app, after that with the line for ubuntu mashines written in the handbook

Do you mean that you provided username and password?

matz wrote:
later I don't see the right Ip in the client control center. It shows 127.0.0.1 at any client

What IP did the client have before? How did you configure the IP?

matz wrote:
I can cange the IP via the "changing client"-Option, but the information is lost sooner or later (both ways (database and server-option fail)

When is it lost?

matz wrote:
I had one client successfully changed, installed some programms, after that the Ip is gone again.

If the client has no IP, m23 cannot change the IP on the client, because the commands to change the are executed over the network. So it sounds more likely that there is an DHCP server, that gives out wrong IP settings.

What version of Linux Mint 17 (17, 17.1, 17.2) with what desktop (Mate, Xfce, ...) do you use?

Could you install Linux Mint in VirtualBox (the same way, you did with the other Linux Mint clients), export and upload it for me? If this is prossible, please give me the link where I could download it.

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 19:39    Post subject: Re: Server lost client ip's, manual integration LM17 Reply with quote

Hi Hauke,

Hauke wrote:

Are you using m23 15.2?

Yes.

matz wrote:

Hauke wrote:
Do you mean that you provided username and password?

I did this. First client name, Ip, username, passwd. It tells me than: integration successfull. (But nothing happens)

I than start the manual process on the client with cd /tmp; wget http:...

But this stops on a certain point (~37% of integration process) with the message: ./work.php-"longnumber": line 2: CLIENT_getClientName: : command not found

I deleted the client and did it again. The process starts over at 37% but again stops at about 50%.

each time the ip of the client gets lost.
Hauke wrote:

matz wrote:
later I don't see the right Ip in the client control center. It shows 127.0.0.1 at any client

What IP did the client have before? How did you configure the IP?

for example: 192.168.23.211. I did it like described above.

Hauke wrote:

matz wrote:
I can cange the IP via the "changing client"-Option, but the information is lost sooner or later (both ways (database and server-option fail)

When is it lost?

I don't see it anymore, after clicking on client overview - theclient - controlcenter. This happens after the error occurs on the client.
Hauke wrote:

matz wrote:
I had one client successfully changed, installed some programms, after that the Ip is gone again.

If the client has no IP, m23 cannot change the IP on the client, because the commands to change the are executed over the network. So it sounds more likely that there is an DHCP server, that gives out wrong IP settings.

Well I had this problem before, but now the dhcp-server is switched off. m23 doesn't complain about that anymore.
Hauke wrote:

What version of Linux Mint 17 (17, 17.1, 17.2) with what desktop (Mate, Xfce, ...) do you use?

LM17.2, Cinnamon
Hauke wrote:

Could you install Linux Mint in VirtualBox (the same way, you did with the other Linux Mint clients), export and upload it for me? If this is prossible, please give me the link where I could download it.

I will try that later.

Thank you!
Hauke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 20:12    Post subject: Re: Server lost client ip's, manual integration LM17 Reply with quote

Hi,

Anonymous wrote:
I did this. First client name, Ip, username, passwd. It tells me than: integration successfull. (But nothing happens)

to make the automatical integration work, you need to install the SSH daemon (as described on the page you linked Wink).

Anonymous wrote:
But this stops on a certain point (~37% of integration process) with the message: ./work.php-"longnumber": line 2: CLIENT_getClientName: : command not found

I cannot reproduce it here. I've just sucessfully integrated a Kubuntu 14.04 (same basis system as LM 17.2). SSH daemon was installed.

Please post the contents of the work.php-... file where the error occurrs.

How (NetworkManager? via /etc/network/interfaces?) did you configure the IP of the client? Is the IP a static IP or dynamically fetched from a DHCP server?

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Hauke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've tried the integration with Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce amd64 and it worked.

I did the following steps:

1. Started LM 17.2 via ISO in VirtualBox
  2. Changed network settings in the network dialog to static IP
  3. Installed on (virtual) harddisk
  4. Rebooed
  5. Installed SSH daemon
  6. Integrated the VM via m23 webinterface (with username/password of the user that was created during setup)

matz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thank's a lot for your replys! I can't concentrate on this issue so much at the moment. But I hopefully will the next days.

Hauke wrote:
Hi,

I've tried the integration with Linux Mint 17.2 Xfce amd64 and it worked.

I did the following steps:

1. Started LM 17.2 via ISO in VirtualBox
  2. Changed network settings in the network dialog to static IP
  3. Installed on (virtual) harddisk
  4. Rebooed
  5. Installed SSH daemon
  6. Integrated the VM via m23 webinterface (with username/password of the user that was created during setup)

I did the same in my first attempts (I guess).
About 1): in my case LM 17.2 is the host for the VM (which ist m23). Do you mean that?
About 2): Do you mean in /etc/network/interfaces? Btw I was not quite sure about the right setting for "network". I used the same as for the gateway (192.168.23.1). The server has 192.168.23.23, the LM 17.2 has the static IP 192.168.23.10.
About 3): I just whatched your video again an noticed that you chose some other options as I did (I always chose the default settings)
About 5): I did that on the clients.
About 6): I chose username and pw of the client-admins.

As mentioned before, it first seemed to work fine, so I integrated lots of clients... Later I found out, they didn't cooperate as I whished. Rolling Eyes I deleted them in m23-server, but how can I delete all m23 installation on those clients?
Hauke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

matz wrote:
About 1): in my case LM 17.2 is the host for the VM (which ist m23). Do you mean that?

no, I meant that I installed the client (to integrate) into VirtualBox. I created a new LM 17.2 VM for the assimilisation test.

matz wrote:
About 2): Do you mean in /etc/network/interfaces? Btw I was not quite sure about the right setting for "network". I used the same as for the gateway (192.168.23.1). The server has 192.168.23.23, the LM 17.2 has the static IP 192.168.23.10.

This looks ok. If you run the client in VirtualBox, you need to use "bridged networking".

matz wrote:
About 3): I just whatched your video again an noticed that you chose some other options as I did (I always chose the default settings)

On VirtualBox?

matz wrote:
As mentioned before, it first seemed to work fine, so I integrated lots of clients... Later I found out, they didn't cooperate as I whished. Rolling Eyes I deleted them in m23-server, but how can I delete all m23 installation on those clients?

With
Code:
find /etc/rc* | grep m23 | xargs -n1 rm
find /etc/init.d/ | grep m23 | xargs -n1 rm
sed -i 's#^Acquire#//Acquire#g' /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf

executed on the m23 clients, you can remove the start of the m23 initscripts and the APT proxy settings for caching the packages on the m23 server.

matz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

Hauke wrote:
Hi,

matz wrote:

This looks ok. If you run the client in VirtualBox, you need to use "bridged networking".

I do.

Hauke wrote:

matz wrote:

On VirtualBox?

Yes, this one: http://m23.goos-habermann.de:2323/video/m23-Server_in_10_Minuten.ogv

The client doesn't seem to get the IP properly. I'm unsure how to start the integration. The client needs an IP for that. So I give it the adress manually for the integration process and switch back to dhcp later?
This works out till a certain point. At about 37% the process stops. The connecrion is lost than. If I reboot the client it does not get an IP from m23.
Somehow the client X-server doesn't work properly than (cinnamon in save mode). This can only fixed by deleting all m23 informaion on the client as you described above.

I'm installin a lm17 installation in VB at the moment and will give you the link later.

Thanks!

some more details:

Server versions
  • m23 version and patch level: 15.2 rock (100796)
  • Installation medium: CD

• Virtual machine or native: VirtualBox
  • Kernel: Linux m23s 3.16.0-4-586 #1 Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u4 (2015-09-19) i686 GNU/Linux

Network settings
  • Internet connection check: ok
  • Domain name resolution check: ok
  • Download without proxy: MD5 ok Size ok
  • Download with proxy: MD5 ok Size ok

Daemons
  • Apache: Apache/2.4.10 (Debian)
  • MySQL: MySQL-Version: 5.5.44 MySQL-Protokoll: 10 Uptime: 1419 Threads: 1 Questions: 4320 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 91 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 84 Queries per second avg: 3.044

Free disk space
Code:
Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1       15121804 1936224  12394388  14% /
udev               10240       0     10240   0% /dev
tmpfs              51260     260     51000   1% /run
tmpfs               5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
tmpfs             202860       0    202860   0% /run/shm
[/url]
matz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:47    Post subject: more details Reply with quote

#/etc/network/interfaces -- generated by m23-Setup
#The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.23.23
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.23.0
broadcast 192.168.23.255
gateway 192.168.23.1
matz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I integrated a virtual LM17.2 client successfully. The only difference in the setup was: I used the 32bit version inspite of the 64 bit I use on the real mashines. (And I didn't even switch off the htcp in my router this time.)

result:

I could (almost-see below) update the client via m23.

Nice, but my problem with the real mashines persists. Sad Sad

Btw:

Is it possible to answer configuration-questions that I see in the clients monitor-window during update?

If I try installing packages, the server keeps on forgetting the sources settings.
and

I can't find any packages through the "install"-dialog. It's only possible via "Edit package selections"

a bug or a feature?
Hauke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you make me a bit confused Wink

matz wrote:
The client doesn't seem to get the IP properly. I'm unsure how to start the integration. The client needs an IP for that. So I give it the adress manually for the integration process and switch back to dhcp later?

If I read it correctly, the client has no static IP address, but there is a DHCP server that distributes IP addresses. Switching off the DHCP server while integration will make it even worse.

A static IP adress is only given, if a fixed IP address is configured on the client without any DHCP server involved. A real static IP address is configured via the network icon (bottom right) on the desktop like in this screenshot.

So please check the network settings of your client and make sure that it uses a static IP address.

OR

If you want to use your DHCP server, make sure it gives out the same IP address to the same client every time. This could be configured on the DHCP server by "binding" the client's MAC address to the IP address the DHCP server will give the specific client.

matz wrote:
I integrated a virtual LM17.2 client successfully. The only difference in the setup was: I used the 32bit version inspite of the 64 bit I use on the real mashines. (And I didn't even switch off the htcp in my router this time.)

I don't think, that this is caused by the architecture of the distribution. In my tests 32 and 64 bit versions both worked.

matz wrote:
Is it possible to answer configuration-questions that I see in the clients monitor-window during update?

Do you update the clients via the m23 webinterface?

matz wrote:
If I try installing packages, the server keeps on forgetting the sources settings.
and
I can't find any packages through the "install"-dialog. It's only possible via "Edit package selections"

This should be caused by the IP problem too.

During the assimilisation process the sources list of the client is transferred to the m23 server and selected for the client.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you make me a bit confused

Hi, sorry for that! Confused I think I have tried so much inbetween, that my writings are a bit confusing.

I have tried both ways you described several times since i am trying to find a way through this.

Mabe I found something intresting today.

I gave the client an static IP.
Integration worked fine till 37,5%
Than it stopped. The Ip was not known in the control center anymore
I recognized now, that it was written the wrong MAC Adress there. I'm trying to integrate clients via wlan. But the control center shows the lan-MAC adress.

Could this be the problem? I have no cable at the moment to try the other way.

Quote:
Do you update the clients via the m23 webinterface?

Yes.
matz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could this be the problem? I have no cable at the moment to try the other way.

I tried it via LAN-cable now and it worked out perfectly!

So, is it (MAC vs wlan) a bug or an unsupported feature? Maybe I just didn't read carefully enough?! Rolling Eyes
Quote:

and

This problem stays the same. The search option in the clients "install"-dialog doesn't find packages that are in the clients distribution-sources. I can only search them in "Edit package selections", and save as "package selection". After that I can install them via the "groups overview"-Dialog. Is it supposed to be like that?

(Maybe this should be an extra post...)

Btw: Thanks so much for your support!!!
Hauke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

matz wrote:

this is great Very Happy

The installation and assimilastion routines were not designed to work over WLAN Wink

I will think about adjustments for the routines or the manual...

matz wrote:
So, is it (MAC vs wlan) a bug or an unsupported feature? Maybe I just didn't read carefully enough?! Rolling Eyes

During integration the MAC of the first wired network card (eth0) is written to the m23 database on the m23 server. The MAC is used for network booting only, so it is not a big deal, if it is not the MAC from the used network card of an assimilated client. Network booting is used for debugging and installation of operating systems only. Addimilated clients cannot be re-installed via m23.

matz wrote:
This problem stays the same. The search option in the clients "install"-dialog doesn't find packages that are in the clients distribution-sources. I can only search them in "Edit package selections", and save as "package selection". After that I can install them via the "groups overview"-Dialog. Is it supposed to be like that?

No, this is strange, because the "Install packages" and "Edit package selections" dialogs are actually the same page called with different paramters.

Building the package index for searching the packages in the m23 webinterface keeps some time. Maybe the index was not build when you used the "Install packages" page, but later when using "Edit package selections".

Do you have under Packages -> "Package sources" an entry staring with "From_"?

Does it match the sources.list of the client you integrated?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="Hauke"]Hi,

matz wrote:

this is great Very Happy

The installation and assimilastion routines were not designed to work over WLAN Wink

I will think about adjustments for the routines or the manual...

Yes, please! WLAN Support would be great. I only can use it this way!

Quote:
Building the package index for searching the packages in the m23 webinterface keeps some time. Maybe the index was not build when you used the "Install packages" page, but later when using "Edit package selections".

I don't think so.
Quote:

Do you have under Packages -> "Package sources" an entry staring with "From_"?

Yes I have. Those clients that are integrated are choosable. Should one of the clients or the distribution be chosen here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Problems with the server / Serverprobleme All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum