READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is an internet connections necessary for testing m23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geoffs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 17:25    Post subject: Is an internet connections necessary for testing m23 Reply with quote

I've been setting up a server and client using VMware and host only networking (server and clients can communicate but no access to the internet)

Does there have to be a connection to the internet or can a basic setup be tested without it?

I currently have limited internet access/limited download quota which restricts my download ability.

Regards
Geoff
MHach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:33    Post subject: Package source architect Reply with quote

We built m23 in a way that limits web traffic - that means, the m23 server caches packages it has downloaded. That way, every package will only be downloaded once and forwarded to the clients by the server. Even if it looks like the client is getting its packages from the web in the client interface, it is still getting them from the server, using that as a transparent proxy.

If this is still too much traffic, you need to have a CD/DVD (or another medium) with the packages for the client you want to install and can then use it with the package source architect to build your own package source. We have not yet tested this feature with the current live CDs, but, provided they contain the natural packages and not preconfigured/preinstalled things, they can be used as a source for your client packages.

Btw, how's the tasmanian devil doing? (We have it as an icon on our server interface, as you must have seen Wink , in the next version, there will be another picture, though).

Viele Grüße,
Maren
geoffs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I'll look at setting up to read local repositories for installs - where possible.

I can see that the client config uses the proxy but I can't see any config that does the same for the server. Does the server also use the proxy cache?

Tassie devils are still suffering from the cancer that seems to have no known cause. There's lots of research going on so there's hope.
Unfortunately there are no devils where I live, I have to make do with wallabies, possums and black swans Smile
MHach

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:32    Post subject: Server config Reply with quote

Hi!
No - the m23-server doesn't use itself as package proxy by default - you've seen that correctly. But if you would like it to do so, you can simply copy the config file to the same place as where it is on the client - only on the server. That should do the trick. This change should even survive the next server update, as the config file is not part of the server.

(Wallabies are cute, too Very Happy )

Viele Grüße,

Maren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum