READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debugging using another machine for DHCP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Problems with the server / Serverprobleme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dleigh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40    Post subject: Debugging using another machine for DHCP Reply with quote

Your current m23 version:
m23 version and patch level: 13.2 rock (100669)

How did you install the m23 server? (Complete installation from CD or by the installation script on the CD)
I guess I don't understand the difference between these two. I downloaded the iso, burned the cd and put it in the machine and went through the installation steps.

Did you change anything on the system by hand? If yes: what?
I didn't want LDAP or DHCP to run (subject of another post I want to write). I don't remember how I answered any questions but I'm pretty sure they are not running. I've also installed mc and webmin.

Ok, my question:

I've read Using m23 with an external DHCP server and wanted to pass on my experience and see if I'm close to a solution.

I tried to work with the FOG computer deployment solution (http://www.fogproject.org/) and succeeded in making it work in our environment where DHCP is handled by a Smoothwall Express server (http://www.smoothwall.org/). FOG didn't meet my needs because it has poor capabilities for dealing with cloning Linux (it's mostly a Windows cloning solution running on Linux).

Anyway, I thought that since the pxe booting worked for FOG with our DHCP setup I'd simply try it for M23 as well. The only thing I changed was the file path location of pxelinux.0 Everything else was the same. The results I got were the following (from syslog on the M23 server):

Code:
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28702]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.0
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28702]: tftp: client does not accept options
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28703]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.0
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28704]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/AC1401FA
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28704]: sending NAK (1, File not found) to 172.20.1.250
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28705]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/AC1401F
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28705]: sending NAK (1, File not found) to 172.20.1.250
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28706]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/AC1401
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28706]: sending NAK (1, File not found) to 172.20.1.250
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28707]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/AC140
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28707]: sending NAK (1, File not found) to 172.20.1.250
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28708]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/AC14
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28708]: sending NAK (1, File not found) to 172.20.1.250
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28709]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/AC1
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28709]: sending NAK (1, File not found) to 172.20.1.250
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28710]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/AC
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28710]: sending NAK (1, File not found) to 172.20.1.250
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28711]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/A
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28711]: sending NAK (1, File not found) to 172.20.1.250
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28712]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/default

What happens on the client is that these same messages are echoed and then it "tries" to boot from the hard disk and just hangs (I can reboot the machine and boot from the hard disk just fine).

It looks like the request is correctly making it to the M23 machine, but I don't understand what it's trying to do at that point or why it's asking for this file pxelinux.cfg/AC1401FA that it can't find.

Am I close? Is there something I can do here?

Thanks!
Hauke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 16:04    Post subject: Re: Debugging using another machine for DHCP Reply with quote

Hi,

one question in forehand: Where did you find the question with the installation script on the CD, you answered? This is a bit outdated Wink

dleigh wrote:
I didn't want LDAP or DHCP to run (subject of another post I want to write). I don't remember how I answered any questions but I'm pretty sure they are not running. I've also installed mc and webmin.

To use only parts of m23 is not a good idea and only for advanced system administrators.

dleigh wrote:

Code:
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28702]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.0
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28702]: tftp: client does not accept options
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28703]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.0
Aug  9 10:17:53 pxeserver in.tftpd[28704]: RRQ from 172.20.1.250 filename pxelinux.cfg/AC1401FA

These lines are the error messages given out when the PXE agent of a client asks for a network bootimage. First it asks the TFTP server for a config file for its own IP (AC1401FA is its IP as hex value). If there is no config file, the request is shortened by one character and so on, until it comes to "default".

If the IP you entered in the m23 webinterface and the IP the DHCP server are matching, there should be a hit and an image transfered to the client.

So first you should check, if the IPs are identically and if yes, if there are files under /m23/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/.

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de
dleigh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
one question in forehand: Where did you find the question with the installation script on the CD, you answered? This is a bit outdated Wink

dleigh wrote:

I downloaded the ISO version 13.1 in early August. That was the version that I'm referring to with those questions.

Quote:
To use only parts of m23 is not a good idea and only for advanced system administrators.

We don't use LDAP here so I didn't have organization information to give in the install and I can't have a second DHCP server just popping up and confusing all the machines. The fact that I got it to work with a different PXE boot server (FOG) would lead me to believe that it's possible AND the messages that show that the client is obviously suceeding at contacting the M23 server would lead me to believe that I'm close to a solution.

Quote:
If the IP you entered in the m23 webinterface and the IP the DHCP server are matching, there should be a hit and an image transfered to the client.

Are you talking about the IP of the client, the m23 server or the (other) DHCP server?

Is this under the "IP management" section of the m23 web interface?

Quote:
So first you should check, if the IPs are identically and if yes, if there are files under /m23/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/.

The only file under /m23/tftp/pxelinux.cfg/ is "default". What I'm trying to do here is capture the image of this client so that I can then deploy it to the other machines. Is that even how m23 works?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT -

Because you mentioned that the file AC1401FA was a file named derived from the client's IP address, I thought I'd just copy the default to a file with that name and see what happened. So it directly went for that file and didn't try the "default" file. What the syslog doesn't show you is the actual messages that show up on the client screen. It says:

Code:
Trying to load:  pxelinux.cfg/AC1401FA
booting from local disk...
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE-ROM

and then it just hangs. So the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure that the DHCP hand-off is happening correctly from the Smoothwall machine to the m23 server. It's just that "default" file doesn't seem to do anything. I'm perhaps missing some conceptual step here.

I also tried to do a "Create Image" from the m23 web interface for this machine. It says that it will reboot immediately when I click on Create Image (it didn't). When I did a manual reboot, I'm back to the same problem of the boot hanging after trying to load the file from pxelinux.cfg.

Any other ideas of what to try would be helpful.
Thanks!
MarenH
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can only give you answers to some of the questions you asked (the fully qualified answers to your other questions are better provided by Hauke, but he isn't available right now):

Q1:
Quote:
I downloaded the ISO version 13.1 in early August. That was the version that I'm referring to with those questions.

This was a misunderstanding - Hauke only wanted to know where you found the (outdated) question
Quote:
How did you install the m23 server? (Complete installation from CD or by the installation script on the CD)

Nevermind, we found the source of the wrong question and corrected it. (It was in the 'sticky'-threads in this forum, where an old version of the FAQ was still linked.)

Q2:
Quote:
Are you talking about the IP of the client, the m23 server or the (other) DHCP server?

Hauke was talking about the client IPs - only stating that those given to your DHCP server must be identical to those you gave to the m23 server when 'Adding' a client. No typos there?

Q3:
Quote:
Is this under the "IP management" section of the m23 web interface?

No, the IP management is for blocking / allowing certain IPs / MAC addresses and IP ranges, so the DHCP server doesn't disturb other machines. Maybe this is already what you are looking for?

Q4:
Quote:
I also tried to do a "Create Image" from the m23 web interface...

How exactly did you install that client? Using the boot-CD? (I'm asking this because from your post I understand that network booting doesn't work for you)

I suggest that you reinstall the m23 server with the latest version which was released last week and which provides you with further hints for the use of an external DHCP server, - and that during installation you enter correct values for the DHCP configuration (if you don't intend to use LDAP, it is okay that you don't provide those values). The DHCP server will only become active when you 'Add' a client, so before you do so, it will not disturb your network.

After installation, you can then deactivate the DHCP server, which is then configured correctly, best by following the instructions in the (updated) help text below the 'Add client' dialogue. At least now you can get the DHCP config file in notation for an ISC DHCP server by following the link in the help text. You can take this file as a guideline for your efforts. Remember that the file will change if you install further clients and update your version accordingly.

Q5:
Quote:
What I'm trying to do here is capture the image of this client so that I can then deploy it to the other machines. Is that even how m23 works?

No, this is not the (main) way m23 works.

Imaging only works for deb-based distros. Which distribution do you use on the client?
The main functionality and the power of m23 is that it does real installations and that you can configure every client as you like. It can also install lots of clients at the same time (mass installation), but again: INSTALL via network. After the installation, m23's main functionality is updating, installing packages to, uninstalling packages from, deploying scripts to, being able to repair and backup-ing the clients. Imaging is only a small 'Add-on', and not the main purpose of the software.

In m23, if you want to get a lot of machines (which can be different hardware-wise) running with the same software, you first create a model client (which does not exist but is only a model in the database of the m23 server) and then you can use this as a blueprint for a mass installation. The model client contains the distribution, the desktop, which additional packages to install, and how the disks will be formatted (this can be adjusted dynamically).

Hope I could help a bit,

Maren

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maren, thanks for the detailed help.

My situation:

I'm trying to take Ubuntu 12.04 desktop (actually Xubuntu + Edubuntu packages), create a prototype system and then clone it into a school computer lab. School starts Monday, and I have my prototype system customized the way I want so I'm looking for a better cloning system than the REDO backup/recovery tool and a bunch of CDs - but at this point it may be too late.

So perhaps m23 is NOT that tool?

So when you talk about a "model client" being created in m23, the model is created by choosing which packages will be installed when the installation is run from the network - is that right? What does one do for specific configuration file issues, etc.? For instance we have a Samba server acting as a Primary Domain Controller and we want users to log onto a Linux machine just like they can log on to a Windows machine with their domain user. This means much customizing with Samba, Winbind, Pam, etc. I finally got it to work and I can't imagine making a model of that without simply cloning that installation via imaging. BUT, I'm no guru. Perhaps there is a better way?

Thanks for any counsel.
David
MarenH
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is: imaging should work for you if you get that DHCP system running, because Ubuntu 12.04 is based on Debian, and m23 can do imaging for Debian-based systems. I'm sorry I cannot help you with DHCP, that is not my domain...

Did you install your preconfigured client using m23?
Or did you use the 'integration function' to familiarize it with the m23 server (and vice versa)? (did you follow the advice for Ubuntu, if you did an integration?)

There is no way m23 can create an image of a computer if it doesn't 'know' the client first (I guess you already know that, because if not you wouldn't have any button to click on, just to be sure Wink ).

To quote Hauke on imaging from another post:

Quote:
...you can use the imaging function of m23, but in most cases imaging makes more problems than you get in reward for it.

If you want to install different operating systems but are not interested in the management of the clients afterwards, a cloning software like clonezilla (clonezilla.org) may be what you need. Installed/cloned Debian-based systems can be imported into m23 afterwards for further management. For the other distributions this function doesn't exist currently.

I personally know about people using the imaging function successfully.

Quote:

So when you talk about a "model client" being created in m23, the model is created by choosing which packages will be installed when the installation is run from the network - is that right?

Absolutely, yes. (plus a blueprint for formatting)

Quote:
What does one do for specific configuration file issues, etc.?

If you take the installation route (which is not so much slower than imaging, because all packages downloaded from the web are cached on the m23 server and thus only downloaded once from the web), as is the primary purpose of m23, the customizing can be done (if it is not too much, else one would want to use puppet for more comfort and overview - configuration changes will be deployed faster with that, but it would still be another system to learn) by creating your own packages.

These packages can contain single files, or complete folders with subfolders which you can then 'install' (basically copy, but using apt) to your clients.
These self-made packages can be created directly from the web interface. They are saved in a repository on the m23 server.

If the customization would be different for each client, one would use the script editor to write scripts which can then be deployed on the clients and executed there. These scripts can do about anything you could do on a terminal locally on the client. In the package search dialog, you can find the scripts you created in the category 'special packages'. You can deploy them like a normal package.

Hope I could help you with your decision. Bonne chance Smile

Maren
dleigh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent info. I'm up to my neck at the moment but I'll be reflecting on the best way forward.

Thank you so much for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Problems with the server / Serverprobleme All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum