READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remote clients - outside of my firewall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanMAC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:12    Post subject: Remote clients - outside of my firewall Reply with quote

I'm working on a project in my area to take donated computers and re-purpose them for children who don't have access to a computer at home. My project depends greatly on a central management system. I've worked with Spacewalk and I think that would work... but I just ran across m23 today. I'm looking for secure communication from server to client and everything that goes into central management - updates are a critical piece. Thank you in advance!
Maren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

that sounds like a very committed and useful social project!

I'm trying to guess what your questions are now, because you didn't really ask anything Wink

- The communication between the m23 server and clients is secured by SSL.

- Management is centralized in m23, updating clients is a core function of m23.

- Using m23 on remote clients is possible, but requires knowledge about your firewall, vpn-tunneling and manual work. This depends very much on your concrete situation and abilities.

If you need more specific help, please give us more info about your setup and don't hesitate to ask us something Wink

Maren
AlanMAC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about not asking direct questions. I have m23 running on a VM at my house and it's working pretty well. I have my desktop being managed by it right now. I think my issue will be communicating with the remote clients. I'm thinking (correct me if I'm on the wrong path) that I can setup a domain with noip.com, then each client will be a subdomain. Does that make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?

It is a very committed social project... my wife and I collect coats from our area (first year doing it) and, with my father-in-law, interface with the local schools to find out who needs them. I think we handed out around 25 coats this year and I'd like to double that next year. Same with computers, which I hope to start during the summer after I prototype 3-4 computers outside my network and get some computers under the Christmas tree for as many kids as I can get computers for. Just looking for a way to manage them all so I can teach my wife how to do some things while I'm at my full time job.

Thank you for your explanation Maren! Any pointers you can give me are greatly appreciated.
Hauke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

giving the m23 clients subdomain names of a dynamic DNS would not help.

With a bit manual configuration and patching of the m23 code you could enable (de)installation and updates of packages. But if I read correctly, your main interest are updates. So "cron-apt" may be more interesting for you, than a big system.

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum