READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Linux distributions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 19:01    Post subject: Adding Linux distributions? Reply with quote

I'm new to the m23 project, and very impressed. I installed my server from m23server_13.1_rock.iso. The installation process is very well designed. Good job!

I've got everything running, and I can install the provided Linux distributions without difficulty. But I want more distributions than are available in the drop-down menu.

How would I go about adding, for example, Ubuntu 13.04 to the list of distributions that I can install?

If this is covered in the FAQ, or other documentation, please guide me to it, I have looked for it but have not seen it.

Thank you very much.
Maren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Art,

thanks for the praise Wink.

Unfortunately, this process is currently not documented for distributions based on .deb-packages using apt.

The integration of a new distribution, especially of an Ubuntu version, takes us between 2 weeks (if everything runs smoothly and we do nothing else) and longer than a month (when new Ubuntu bugs/features make life difficult for us). This is the reason why we do not do this for the non-LTS versions, they are outdated too soon and sometimes, important parts change even within a version and make administration impossible until m23 has been adapted to the changes.

If you still want to proceed after having read this Wink , you can take the file /m23/inc/distr/ubuntu/clientInstall.php as a starting point for your endeavor (to compare what was done for the other Ubuntu versions).

If you are already happy with only the administration (and not the installation of Ubuntu systems) with m23, you could try to install the Ubuntu 13.04 systems the usual way (from DVD or USB) and then look if integration into m23 (Client->Integrate) will work. Chances are good that this might succeed.

Best regards,

Maren
Maren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: For distributions _not_ based on Debian, take a look at this page:
http://m23.sf.net/hs .[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> General questions and ideas/Allgemeine Fragen und Anregungen All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum