READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy
The m23 discussion forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10.1a failed installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Problems with the server / Serverprobleme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jggpc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 16:47    Post subject: 10.1a failed installation Reply with quote

m23-10.1a
Installation step. Partitioning:

First system: Dell Precision 610 2x550 xeon procs, SCSI 9.1 drive, 768 MB ram. Installer fails to find drive, fails at installation: cat:/proc/1504/fdinfo/3: no such file of directory (multiple errors same line, ctrl c to stop this)

Second System: Dell Optiplex GX110; 1x600 proc, 512 mb ram -- installer finds drive, begins transferring image files, then dies at the same point (cat:/proc/1504/fdinfo/3: no such file ...)

do not real sure where to go from here. This is the second burned disc, and the md5sum is correct. any thoughts on how to move forward?

More Info: Have now tried again to install, this time on a IBM eSeries server. 32 bit P4, 1 gb ram, 80 GB HDD. Still the install fails from the bootable cdrom with the exact same error message.

This confirms what I thought yesterday, there is a bug in this installation process. I saw that there is a newer version supposed to have been released, 10.2, however I do not see where to download it from. THe directions are very lacking on how to get that iso file, adn it is not possible to do an 'online update' if you cannot get the original system to install.
Hauke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:40    Post subject: Re: 10.1a failed installation Reply with quote

Hi,

jggpc wrote:
First system: Dell Precision 610 2x550 xeon procs, SCSI 9.1 drive, 768 MB ram. Installer fails to find drive, fails at installation: cat:/proc/1504/fdinfo/3: no such file of directory (multiple errors same line, ctrl c to stop this)

can you tell me, what module is used for the SCSI drive?

jggpc wrote:
Second System: Dell Optiplex GX110; 1x600 proc, 512 mb ram -- installer finds drive, begins transferring image files, then dies at the same point (cat:/proc/1504/fdinfo/3: no such file ...)

The error lines say most times only, that the percentage of the extraction process could not be calculated. The installation itself should work anyway. Just try to install it again, give the installer some time and ignore the error messages. If the CD drive keeps calm for at least 5 minutes the installation has really faild.

jggpc wrote:
do not real sure where to go from here. This is the second burned disc, and the md5sum is correct. any thoughts on how to move forward?

Install Debian 5.0 Lenny and the m23 packages as shown in the [/quote]Installation guide, if it still doesn't work.

jggpc wrote:
I saw that there is a newer version supposed to have been released, 10.2, however I do not see where to download it from. THe directions are very lacking on how to get that iso file, adn it is not possible to do an 'online update' if you cannot get the original system to install.

There is no ISO file, just the packages for installing m23 with 10.2.

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de
jggpc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back while awaiting your reply and did the installation of M23 through the Debian repo's on Friday, as you later suggested. This worked out well.

As far as what SCSI module was being loaded for the drive on the one system that failed, I will need to re-hook this system up and attempt the install again this week. I used the faster of my systems, an IBM eSeries, for this test with Debian, and it works so I need to test it before i can debug the scsi issues.

Will repost here when I get the module information for you. I have some client questions now, so will be putting questions in there next.
Hauke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the installation with KVM yesterday with the 10.1a ISO and it worked well. There were the error messages, you described, but the installation continued after a few seconds.

m23 rock 10.3 will be available as ISO soon and the setup will not show the error messages and continue the installation process after the extraction of the base system has been finished.

Thank you for reporting Very Happy

PS. I added a section about KVM in the Installation guide.

Schulung, Entwicklung und Support zu m23 und anderen OpenSource-Produkten: www.goos-habermann.de

Auch DU kannst etwas gegen Softwarepatente tun! www.patentfrei.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    READ ONLY FORUM: m23 :: makes software distribution easy Forum Index -> Problems with the server / Serverprobleme All times are GMT - 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum